How To Handle Claims Efficiently
n accident can take seconds to occur but overseeing the entire claims repair process may take days. Traditionally, drivers have been responsible for reporting the claim, arranging for the rental car, getting estimates on the repair work, checking with the shop to see when the work will be done, inspecting the car, picking up the car and returning the rental car.
Fortunately, this does not have to be the case and that’s why it’s a smart idea to investigate car insurance companies carefully.
For example, The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies offers drivers an accident claims repair process that takes only minutes-not days-of their time. Here’s how the process works:
• The customer calls to report a claim at any time of the day or night and brings the vehicle to a specially designed service center.
• In about 15 minutes, the customer is in a rental car, if needed, with the assurance that the company will update the status of his or her claim.
• A claims representative prepares a repair estimate and contacts an auto body shop that has met strict quality requirements. The insurance company and the shop reach agreement on the cost of the repairs; the shop transports the vehicle back to the facility and the repair process begins.
• When the work is finished, the vehicle is returned to the service center where representatives from the insurance company and the body shop inspect the quality of repairs.
• Once the insurance company is satisfied with the repairs, the customer is called to schedule a pickup. Repairs are inspected and the customer drives off with a written document, saying that the repair facility and the insurance company guarantee the repairs for as long as the customer owns the vehicle.
Progressive has 25 Claims Service Centers open and plans to open 50 more sites across the country over the next few years.