Facts On Burying The Deductible
From time to time all auto body shops get requests from car owners to “Bury the Deductible” when their damage is covered by collision insurance.
Here at State Auto Body it is not even an option! You may be able to go around the corner and find a body shop that is willing to do this but … be warned that if you do, here are some points you need to consider:
- Conspiring to “bury the deductible” is committing fraud against the insurance company and is against the law!
- Insurance appraisers know the cost of repairs as well as auto body shops and cannot be fooled by inflated estimates.
- If a shop agrees to bury the deductible they will have to take short cuts on the repairs, and the owner will get a second rate job, which will depreciate the value of the car come trade in time.
- An auto body shop that is willing to cheat the insurance company will be equally willing to cheat the car owner. The shop will never absorb the deductible. The value will be taken out of the job, and the owner will be the one that loses out.
- If a body shop decides to cut corners and it ends up to be a second rate job, the owner has no one to complain to if he conspires to bury the deductible.
The smart thing for the owner to do is to protect his investment by getting a 1st class job from a 1st class shop – like State Auto Body in Milwaukee. He should be happy that all he has to pay is the deductible!